Three minors rescued, who were held by an alleged religious sect in the Ngäbe Buglé
Three minors who were held by an alleged religious sect in the community of Guayabal, in the Ngäbe Buglé region, were rescued.
The information was confirmed by the Minister of Security, Juan Pino, during a work tour in the district of San Félix, province of Chiriquí.
Pino said that the complaint was received this Friday, and a specialized team of the National Aeronaval Service (Senan) managed to enter the remote community this Saturday, since the weather conditions before had not allowed it. The community can only be entered by air.
The three children were rescued in good health and must undergo a medical examination. Meanwhile, a person fled from a ranch upon noticing the presence of the Senan units.
According to the Senan, among the minors there is a two-month-old baby, who was separated from his mother at birth.
The security minister announced that it could be a sequel to the religious sect in the regional community of El Terrón, in which seven people were murdered earlier this year.
According to the person's report, it speaks of a possible religious sect, so it will be necessary to define, according to the investigations that are made with the competent authorities and the information that is being collected in the area, certify if it was a religious sect, but according to information preliminary, that was the report, said Pino.
The search and rescue operation had the support of one of the hostages, who managed to escape and is protected by Senan units.
The Public Ministry (MP) announced that it had initiated an investigation for the crime of deprivation of liberty.
MP staff, headed by the prosecutor for Indigenous Affairs, Ermelinda Jiménez, traveled to the community where they are conducting a series of procedures, including interviews with the victims' relatives.