National Police apologize to La Estrella journalist after arresting him for covering protest
The National Police issued a statement apologizing to the journalist of the newspaper La Estrella de Panamá, Juan Cajar, and the entire union, after uniformed officers detained the communicator when he was covering a protest on the premises of the National Assembly.
Journalistic work and police work go hand in hand, always in open communication; having in common the sacrifice, commitment and vocation, working in risky situations, in which decision-making must be immediate, which may imply errors of trial at times, says the statement signed by the Police Director, Jorge Miranda, recognizing that freedom of expression and information are the basis of any democratic system.
In addition, they promised to ensure the free performance of the work of journalists in the country as provided by the Constitution and current laws.
The letter does not talk about suspending the process against Cajar for alleged alteration of public order.
This is the second statement issued by the entity. In the first they claimed that Cajar took out his press card after the arrest and that he did not have a filming or recording equipment, despite the fact that photos and videos show how the journalist shows the card and shouted what his position was.
According to Cajar, who was scheduled for a hearing for November 2 at the Casa de Paz in Bella Vista, to detain him they threw him to the ground, put straps on him and sprayed him with pepper spray, despite the fact that, he said, he reiterated in several times he was in a newspaper coverage.
Earlier in other statements, the Deputy Minister of Security, Ivor Pitty, apologized to the entire sector of journalists and to the journalist who had the incident, from the Ministry; as well as Commissioner Domingo Espitia who raised "a million apologies" to the union.