The Minister of Health of Panama, Luis Francisco Sucre defended the new measures adopted to stop the accelerated increase in cases of covid-19 in the country.
announced last Sunday total quarantine in the provinces of Panama and Panama Oeste from January 4 to 14, 2021, curfew from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. and mobility by gender according to the last ID or passport number.
We are convinced that the measures we are taking will make us stop the rise and speed of the curve, Sucre
said in statements to RPC Radio.
He indicated that it had already been warned that the reopening of activities and the increase in circulation in the streets would cause an increase in cases.
He recognized that the situation in both economic and health matters is critical, which has led them to take measures, but insisted that the support of the population is needed to comply with them.
The second wave the blow is stronger, now what we have to do is to find a balance between releasing and pressing and see how we are taking the epidemiological part in the country to achieve those figures that we had in the middle of the pandemic, he said .
On the other hand, Sucre
mentioned that they are currently conducting studies to determine if the new strain of the virus is in the country.
We are studying the possibility that we have the England strain. Very possibly Panama because it is a permanent transit country, that puts Panama at a disadvantage, this position is good for many things, but in terms of diseases, Panama has difficulty in passing, he said.
He explained that the Gorgas
Memorial Institute has already detected two different types of strain in the country, which have a higher reproductive and infectious capacity than the original strain.